One of the greatest legacies of David and Carmen Kreeger is the Museum that bears their name. In 1959, The Kreegers began to amass a formidable collection of modern art. For the next fifteen years they assembled most of the Museum's holdings. The collection reflects the spirit of David and Carmen Kreeger who agreed on every piece they purchased –their approach to collecting was a personal one –they bought what they loved.
The Kreeger's focus on 19th and 20th century paintings is evidenced by works by Monet, Picasso, Braque, Stella, Mitchell, and Frankenthaler, among others. Also included in the permanent collection are works by prominent Washington artists, including William Christenberry, Gene Davis, Sam Gilliam, Simmie Knox, and Paul Reed. Outstanding examples of African and Asian art are integrated in gallery spaces on both levels. Designed in 1963 by Philip Johnson and Richard Foster, the travertine-clad building sits on five acres and is surrounded by sculpture gardens and terraces.
David and Carmen Kreeger. Photograph taken in 1978 by Razi Yitzchak.
The mission of The Kreeger Museum is to share art, architecture and music. This objective serves as the overarching guideline for our educational programs and initiatives, lectures, panel discussions, gallery talks and exhibitions.